Thursday 7 July 2011

The Talented Dancing Uncle - a Melville Castle Wedding production


I have to admit I just LOVE this opening shot! It makes me smile every time I look at it. It was taken at Kirsty and Simon’s wedding at Melville Castle following the wedding breakfast. I’d been moving around the edges of things looking for informal shots of everyone enjoying themselves and then worked my way round to the rear lawn to get a shot of all the guests sitting on the pavilion patio with the castle as a backdrop. Throughout the day Kirsty’s uncle had been kind enough to frequently impart his great photographic
advice, "get as many shots of me as you can", lol. That's one of the things I enjoy about my job, the banter and camaraderie you can enjoy. Anyway, as he spotted me moving through the trees he duly struck up a pose. I was happy enough to oblige and after taking the photograph I gave him a thumbs up of thanks and then walked away. However, I had a feeling it might be worthwhile keeping my eye upon him, and sure enough he began to dance around for his friends entertainment. As he did so I quickly spun round and framed up the shot and patiently waited for his dancing feet to twirl him about so that I’d catch him facing the camera. A couple of seconds later he pirouetted into the spot I’d hoped for and I fired the camera. I’m not too sure Kirsty will select it for her album but we’ll find out soon enough
as they’ll be back from honeymoon next week.

While I’m on the subject of reportage wedding photography I was delighted to pick up a Bronze award from the Society of Wedding & Portrait Photographers monthly contest last month (June) in the 'Weddings Photojournalism' category. I entered the photo of Gail that you saw on my blog four weeks ago from her wedding at Barony Castle. I also won a Bronze award in the monochrome category for the black and white image I posted in my Dalhousie Castle wedding blog three weeks ago. So far this year it means I’ve won awards in all six months of the SWPP monthly image contest,
so I’m pretty chuffed!

Sometimes I am asked about the difference between the SWPP wedding categories. Well, there are three separate categories, and of course we are only allowed to enter one image per category. They are - Weddings Contemporary, Weddings Photojournalism and Weddings Traditional. The Traditional category is posed shots or photographs that we have direct or set up. Weddings Photojournalism (also referred to in many bridal magazines as reportage) is the opposite in that it is a purely natural moment that has not been set up in any way at all. A photograph that tells a story. This is often the hardest category for wedding photographers as there is no intervention permitted. Its all down to skill and
timing. Personally, I love the strictness of this category as so many wedding photographers today claim to provide reportage style wedding photography because it is a buzz word, yet, in reality there is a great difference between true photojournalism photography and grabbing a couple of candid’s during the evening reception. So the stringency separates the men from the boys, lol. The Weddings Contemporary category is for modern, stylish images that show exceptional innovation.

Forgetting the dancing uncle shot for a minute, the following three photographs are examples of reportage/photojournalistic wedding photography.
The first two show Kirsty and her father descending the staircase on their way to the wedding ceremony in the Melville Castle Ballroom. I simply ran ahead of them and photographed them from as many different angles as I could fit in during the duration of their descent. I really like the wide shot which shows off the entire staircase and the wonderful light pouring in through the top floor window above them. Wedding photographers in Edinburgh are privileged to have so many superb wedding venues with such dramatic staircases. I always believe its important if the wedding is in a Castle or Stately Home to include a good set of photographs
that really show off the magnificence of the surroundings. Later this year I’m doing some wedding photography in Newcastle at very similar venues, so the same rule applies. The third image we are talking about here was taken during the ceremony itself. Of course I get many photographs like this one from the ceremony as the couple say their vows and declarations to each other and go through their exchange of rings. They are so engrossed in each other and the wedding proceedings that they do not even know they are being photographed, hence, they look completely relaxed and natural.

The next three photographs are examples of
Traditional wedding photography, where I have directed or placed Simon and Kirsty in a specific location or pose. A good knowledge of the venue is key here. With Kirsty and Simon I’ve photographed more weddings at Melville Castle than any other wedding photographer in Edinburgh so I know it intimately and affectionately, along with many other venues in Edinburgh and throughout Scotland and North East England. I also carry out a full venue check ahead of every wedding too so I know in advance of the day all the best locations and spots that we’ll use as well.

We photographed the speeches, the cake cutting and then the first dance with the superb Corra who are absolutely awesome! I took several full length photographs as Simon and Kirsty took to the dance floor and then I switched camera’s (I always work with two camera’s, each one having a different focal length lens) for some close ups. Again I like to get an all round mix of full length photos of the couple dancing, some wide shots showing off the whole setting and then the closer ones which are usually a little more warm and intimate. I’m also happy to shoot dancing uncles too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment