Wednesday 8 December 2010

Jenna and Michael, Melville Castle in the rain

Well wedding photographers in Edinburgh are currently enjoying some beautiful winter wonderland weddings.
I had one last Saturday at Melville Castle, which I will tell you about very soon, and another one coming this Saturday, again at Melville Castle. But just before the snow descended upon the Scotland I enjoyed working at Jenna and Michael’s wedding at Melville Castle. I know, they really should give me a room there! lol

I first met Jenna and Michael at a wedding fair at Melville Castle earlier
in the year. We had a chat about their wedding, looked through some of my Melville Castle wedding albums and books and they were happy to book me there and then. The time seems to have flown by since!

On the wedding day, although the snow hadn’t yet arrived in Edinburgh, we were in the middle of non stop dreaky rain.
My spell checker is trying it’s hardest to tell me there is no such word as 'dreaky' but I cant think of a more perfect word to describe the weather. Not only was it raining but the skies were a dull, dreakieeeee, yucky grey. When I arrived at Melville the rain actually took a mini break so I managed to grab a couple of minutes with Michael and the groomsmen outside at the main entrance. But we wouldn’t get back outside for any more photos.
I know rain on your wedding day is always one of the brides biggest fears but it is something I never really worry about as far as the photographs are concerned as I always have contingency plans for bad weather days.

All Edinburgh wedding photographers like working here but as Melville Castle’s most frequented photographer I’ve come to know all the little nooks and crannies that allow for great
images as well of course becoming familiar with the varying lighting conditions of all the grand rooms. Because I’m here so regularly as well as having done a lot of the photography for Melville Castle’s brochures, website and other marketing literature I know the managers and staff very well and I’m granted a lot of leeway other photographers probably aren’t.

As usual I had arrived early which gave me time to request the Hotel to allow me to do all the formal group shots in the Ballroom, which is where the ceremony was being held. The lighting in the Ballroom is superb, which you may remember from Natalie and Billy’s wedding a few months ago when it rained and I used the Ballroom for their group shots.
Once the ceremony was concluded the staff brought everyone out into the main lobby for drinks and canapes and started clearing the chairs from the Ballroom to allow me back in for the photographs.

For Jenna and Michael’s bride and groom session I did a few photographs of them around the main lobby after we’d finished the group photographs in the Ballroom. Melville Castle’s lobby is full of character and really does epitomize the history of this medieval stronghold with its huge ornate ceilings, hanging chandeliers and marble pillars. It’s no wonder Mary Queen of Scot’s enjoyed visiting so much! I worked with Michael and Jenna around the lobby using the fireplace, the luxurious leather chairs and the marble pillars as props, décor and backdrops to several different photographs before we headed right up to the top of staircase to finish off.

Jenna and Michael had also requested a Big Group photograph of all the guests. Normally a photographer will do this outside as he not only needs enough space to fit everyone in, but also a high vantage point in order to see everyone’s faces in the shot. At Melville Castle I usually do the Big Group in front of the fountain situated on the castle front lawn where I can shoot from the first floor Dining Room window. At Natalie and Billy’s wedding the rain actually cleared up later in the afternoon and permitted me to do this, but today it was quite apparent the rain wasn’t going to play ball so I did the shot in the Castle lobby and I hung over the staircase. I usually like to position the bride and groom centrally with their family close around them at the front. Its then easy enough to move the other friends into position around and behind them. I know a lot of wedding photographers try and steer away from doing a Big Group as they feel there is too much organised chaos with it. But to be honest I really like it as it isn’t particularly too hard getting everyone into place as long as you are nice and relaxed and friendly, and it really does make a great keepsake for the couple having a photograph with all their family and friends and guests together.

Jenna and Michael had booked me up until their wedding breakfast so we made this the last shot of the day which allowed everyone to then head straight up the stairs to the Dining Room to enjoy their meal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment