Thursday 21 July 2011

Morag and Alastair's wedding at Craighouse

Going to do something slightly different today. Usually every time I blog I choose which photographs I am going to publish to illustrate whatever wedding or topic I’m writing about. I have to tell you this is always a very hard process. I spend ages poring over a set of wedding photographs trying to decide on around 8 or 9 to use. Its doubly hard this week as at the same time I’ve been asked to select 5 weddings from all those I’ve photographed within the last 12 months to send through to a magazine Editor who's currently planning a future wedding article. Only one of these weddings will actually go on to be used in the magazine but by that stage it’s down to the editorial team not me, lol. Anyway, as I’ve just completed the album design for Morag and Alastair as well as the Parent Album, I’m going to use 8 of the main photographs they selected for their wedding album on this weeks blog.

It was a breezy and sunny day for Morag and Alastair’s wedding in Edinburgh. The ceremony was at the Greenbank church then we were back to Craighouse for the reception. I arrived at the church nice and early as I knew the narrow street can be difficult for parking. I had of course brought along my customary Costa coffee so I was quite content to sit and sip and enjoy the warm breeze. Did you know that I’m the only wedding photographer in Edinburgh who gets free coffee from Costa by giving them
a name drop in my blog? If Aston Martin are reading this I would just like to add that I’d be happy to come to a similar arrangement with them. ;)

Alastair arrived about half an hour prior to the ceremony and I did a few photographs
with him and his ushers and bestman before nipping inside for a quick word with the minister. The minister requested that we only work from the back of the church, which was fine as the church was incredibly spacious and also had a rear balcony that would be a great vantage point. I love the first shot here with Morag and her father proceeding up the aisle with the
bridesmaids in her trail. You will notice that Alastair has turned to look up the aisle thus catching his first sight of his bride. Immediately after I shot this image Diane handed me our second camera which has the telephoto lens and I also grabbed a close up of the expression of pleasure on Alastair’s face as he see’s Morag approaching.

Readings in a wedding ceremony are an important element and I always endeavour to get a photograph of the reader. Morag’s sister Rona carried out one of the readings. I shot a close up of her and also the image you see here which I like for the fact that it also shows Morag and Alastair listening and enjoying her reading. The second image of the set here was Alastair and Morag’s exchange of rings. The album they selected is an upright 8" x 6" Image Book and this photograph is one they chose to feature as a full page.
The following image too, signing the register has also been used as a full page. As you can see I had come down to the front of the church to get photographs of the register signing. Most ministers allow me to come forward and set up a couple of photos at this point which of course doesn’t take me long anyway.

We then exited the church, had a quick pause in the doorway for a photo and then I moved the fringes as the guests came out of the church and swarmed up
to offer their congratulations. There’s always a great buzz at this point in the day and I just move around capturing things quite informally. When the bridal party were ready to head off to Craighouse I jumped in the front of the wedding car for a second to get a shot of the newly weds in the back seat and then I was off back to my own car to scoot around to Craighouse.

The wedding car arrived at Craighouse before the coach with all the guests so I took advantage of the
situation by getting the driver to stop right at the entrance and got a few images of the bride and groom with their wedding car whilst the background was uncluttered. All Edinburgh wedding photographers and all wedding photographers in Newcastle and up and down the country love fancy cars! Cool cars, magnificent venues and gorgeous dresses...what more could one ask for?

The last three photographs here are from our bride and groom set a little later in the afternoon. I was especially pleased with all the photos from our half hour bride and groom session because Morag’s parents, Valerie and Duncan, when looking through the wedding photographs for their
Parent Album complimented me on capturing Morag and Alastair looking so natural and relaxed when in reality neither of them like having their photograph taken. My personal favourite from the wedding is the last one shown here in which not only do they look great but I think captures there personalities brilliantly!

0 comments:

Post a Comment