Tuesday 23 November 2010

Paula and Gordon Corstorphine Church

Busy time of the year just now for portrait sessions with the run up to crimbo as well as a frenzy of print orders which require delivery before xmas. I’ve had two more weddings
since I last blogged, a couple of days down in Newcastle meeting with couples getting married there next year and then the Masonic Ladies Festival at Melville Castle on Saturday. Also delivered Paula and Gordon’s wedding album a few days ago, too, so here’s a bit about how their day went...

Paula and Gordon got married in a Tardis like church in Corstorphine and then back to Houston House for the reception. I had never been inside the Old Corstorphine Parish church until the morning of the wedding day. A few weeks earlier I had been out to have a look at it and noted how small it was, however, on entering the church itself I was amazed at how elegant and grand it is on the inside, and how it is ten times bigger inside than out! I think the minister must go time travelling in it! lol
Anyway, not only did it have plenty of grandeur and character but also a tiny balcony that the minister allowed us access to which meant Diane could take photos from above whilst I remained down at floor level. As it happened when I received Paula and Gordon’s album photograph selection list Diane was delighted to see that from the ceremony they’d chosen nearly as many of her photographs as mine. Fortunately, she hasn’t yet asked for a raise. Phew! The minister was Moira McDonald who I have worked with on previous weddings at other venues and is easily the nicest Church of Scotland minister in Edinburgh. I hadn’t realised she was the minister here so it was a pleasant surprise to discover this was her church. As usual she took a really nice ceremony and I was able to capture some lovely relaxed, natural shots of Gordon and Paula as they went through their declarations, vows, ring exchange, etc.
I took a few wide shots too to show the impressive church interior.

A few years ago when I was more involved with editorial and commercial work I picked up regular commissions from Heritage magazine, Best of British, Scottish Memories and Choice magazine where I was sent around the country photographing some of our most famous historical Castles, Palaces and Stately Homes. From those assignments I learnt the importance of working with mixed and low light levels without destroying the striking atmosphere and ambience of these ancients buildings. Nowadays, whilst I am happy to photograph a wedding at any venue whatsoever, I think the reputation I established through my magazine work is one of the reasons such a lot of my wedding bookings are for Castles.
When their ceremony was concluded we headed off to Houston House where we’d arranged to do the formals. I grabbed a quick shot of the newly weds as they left the church, pausing them briefly at the church gates alongside their piper and then once more
besides their wedding car and then we were all off along the A8 to Houston House. As an Edinburgh wedding photographer I always enjoy Houston House as there’s so many great locations throughout the gardens for beautiful photographs.

Upon arrival at Houston House the family and guests enjoyed a
glass or two of champagne and then we ran through the family group shots. When these were finished we took Gordon and Paula for a stroll around the beautiful gardens. I set up a couple of shots under the magnificent oak tree initially then as we moved from their across to the old courtyard I ran ahead and photographed some completely natural images as they walked through the gardens just enjoying their first quiet time alone together after the ceremony.
Whilst my wedding photography style is predominantly photojournalistic with the bride and groom session being natural and relaxed I also took a few classic style portraits as I knew these would look elegant and beautiful in the traditional wedding album that Gordon and Paula had ordered. One of my favourites is the black and white photograph posted here, I just love the top and side lighting on this image. All three wedding speakers did a great job following the meal and we got a nice set of photographs, including Gordon’s Heart’s joke’ lol. Then we finished up with some informal pictures as the guests laughed and joked and finished off their drinks.

One of the many things I enjoy about my work is delivering the wedding album. I get an enormous amount of job satisfaction when the seeing the delight on my couples faces as they look through their album.
That’s why whenever possible I like to deliver the album personally. For couples who have come from afar and from oversea’s this is obviously not possible, but for everyone else it’s an absolute delight! I also received this week a beautiful Thank You card from Paula and Gordon so I have to say a 'thank you' back for the lovely comments. It has actually reminded me that I haven’t up dated my Testimonials for a while so over the holiday period I’m going to pull out my box of 2010 Thank You cards and update my webpage.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done, i'm sure you have a v.happy couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being an American photographer, we don't get churches like this! HOLY SMOKES! That church is gorgeous! Well done on the photography!

    ReplyDelete