Thursday 11 November 2010

Gillian and Gary at Craighouse

A few weeks ago I was talking about the forthcoming changes at one of Edinburgh’s finest wedding venues, Craighouse. It’s owners, Napier University, have put it up for sale and it’s highly unlikely it will be used for weddings once sold. Edinburgh wedding photographers who have worked here will lose a very fine venue indeed as there are literally
scores of beautiful locations in and around the grounds for great wedding photographs. Now funnily enough at the Corn Exchange wedding fair last Saturday and Sunday our stand was right opposite Napier’s Craighouse stand and on the Sunday their marketing and sales manager came across to see me and asked me to come in for a meeting with a view to putting together a showcase wedding album for them.

Does this mean a reprieve for Craighouse? Sadly, no. But despite being up for sale it will continue to function as a wedding venue until 2013. Hence, the reason they are interested in updating their marketing materials and promotional images. Of course, I’m delighted they asked me to do this for them and looking forward to getting to work on it. On our way home from the wedding fair I was musing to Diane
why, out of all the wedding photographers in Edinburgh who have worked at Craighouse they picked me? I surmised that it must be due to meeting and seeing me in person throughout the wedding fair on the Sunday that they were impressed by my handsome good looks and charming personality. However, Diane informed me that no, it was because on the
Saturday she had shown them some photos from the last wedding we had photographed at Craighouse and they absolutely loved them! Hmm, I’m not sure whether to feel elated or disappointed, lol.

Anyway, the last wedding we photographed at Craighouse was Gillian and Gary’s just a few weeks ago. We had an absolutely amazing day and Gillian and Gary were superb to
work with! I started off doing some shots with Gary and groomsmen around the courtyard for a few minutes just before everyone was taken through to be seated for the ceremony followed by a couple of quick photographs of Gillian’s mother and two bridesmaids prior to Gillian and her father arriving. The wedding car was a beautiful vintage Jaguar and so as well as getting a picture of Gillian and her
father in the back of the car as it came to a stop I also posed them by the car for a couple of photos and then brought in the two bridesmaids and flower girl for a shot of them all by the car. I also paused father and bride at the main Craighouse entrance for a nice portrait too before running ahead and photographing the bridal party making their way up the staircase, along the corridors and then finally down
the aisle.

The rooms at Craighouse are so large there’s plenty of space for me to move around and get photographs from either side of the bride and groom throughout the ceremony. This is nice as it allows me to photograph both their faces as they say their vows and declarations to each other. There’s also a huge bay window right behind the celebrant which I can back into for wide angle shots. When it comes to signing the
register the bride and groom are often seated at a table in front of this window which makes for a nice variety of photographs, too.

Following the ceremony everyone took their drinks out onto the balcony that overlooks the south side of the city. Not only are there superb panoramic views across the city but also plenty of space for a Big Group shot, which I think I’ve done at every wedding I’ve photographed here. It’s also an ideal place for the
formal group photographs as well as you can place the groups in the shade of the building where the light is nice and soft. The wedding car had been booked to stay on for a little while after the ceremony so when we finished the formals I took Gary and Gillian down to the car for some photos before the driver finished up for the day.

For the bride and groom session we made the most of Craighouse’s beautiful marble
staircase. We did a few classic poses at the foot of the stairs, which will look gorgeous in the elegant traditional wedding album Gillian and Gary have ordered, and then some more relaxed informal and fun shots around the courtyard before taking a short walk down to the small row of trees further down the drive. I really love it here as I can move around and change my backgrounds and angles creating a great
variety of images literally within a few seconds. We did a mix of fun, romantic and contemporary photographs and also made the most of the blustery wind, lol.

Following the meal we had the speeches. Lots of great photographs here. Especially with five speakers. Yes that’s right. Father of the bride, Gary, two bestmen and then a few words from Gillian herself who also had a special presentation for Gary
of a Gold, Olympic style medal, with the words “For having the Patience of a Saint. With Love, your wife” engraved on the back.

Everyone ambled back through to the balcony and the Queens Room afterwards for a few drinks and laughter before we were all back into the Turmeau Hall for the cutting of the cake which then lead into the first dance. All in all another fantastic Craighouse wedding! Hopefully I’ll get a few more here before it gets sold.

1 comment:

  1. Your pics and blog are just awesome. I'm a portrait and wedding photographers in San Jose, I know that it's difficult photographing outstanding pictures. Thanks! Mike-DWF

    ReplyDelete