Wednesday 28 March 2012

Lady in Red

When I first started out doing magazine work it was in the days of film. I used to shoot on transparency film as that produced the highest quality images required by the magazine houses. For a typical magazine feature they may perhaps use anywhere between 4 - 20 photographs depending on the size of the article and how many pages it would take up. We would submit the photos in an A4 transparent sheet that held 20 images in 5 rows and 4 columns and the first thing the editor would do with this was to lay it out on a light box whereupon he could view all the images perfectly and accurately. Now the payment terms for these feature was always agreed with us in advance but what was never decided until the last minute was the magazine front cover photograph and often a double page spread for the centrefold. If the editor selected one of your images for either of these it meant more money, and on a really prestigious big name title a front cover shot could actually pay more than your fee for the whole article!

Well as you can imagine once we’d submitted our images all of the contributors were hoping that one of the photographs from our submission would stand out strongly enough to be chosen to grace the front cover. Now there was a little secret I knew about the colour red that I often used to my advantage to help give my submission a slight a edge. Red is a naturally strong colour and when viewed on the accuracy of a light box it will stand out and dominate over all the other colours. So when putting together my submission of twenty pictures I would always make sure to put in one image on each column that featured the colour red knowing that as soon as the editor laid out my transparency sheet on his light box his eye would be naturally drawn and impressed by the 'red' photos. First impressions are always very important and it was amazing just how many of these photographs were the ones that made it to the front cover. So, you will not be surprised to hear how red has long been one of my favourite colours!

Prior to Claire’s wedding I had no idea she was going to be wearing red. Often when chatting with the couple before their wedding we are not allowed to speak of the dress in front of the groom, although on some occasions it has been known for the groom to be sent out of the room so I can talk about it with the bride, lol. So it was a lovely surprise to see such a striking dress on the day. My photography started with photos of the dress which I hung on the back of the wardrobe in the bridal suite. I then shot some getting ready pictures whilst Claire had her hair and make-up done and when finished I asked Claire to just take the dress down and hold it alongside her and I grabbed a couple of quick photos like that before she got in it.

Whilst Claire and her bridesmaids were getting into their dresses I popped out and did some photos with the groom and his groomsmen. I only take about ten minutes but within that time I can get a good variety of nicely posed images and then some very relaxed and casual shots. I was then back up to the girls room and did the same variety of photos with them now in their dresses. Running ahead of the girls I waited at the foot of the staircase for Claire to descend with her father. I got several good shots as they came down and then made their way along to the small chapel. During this stage of the proceedings I just try and keep ahead of events and work as unobtrusively as possible so for much of the time no one even knows they are having their photograph taken. This allows me to capture the atmosphere and feelings of the day and also ensures people look natural and relaxed in all the pictures.

Following the ceremony it was a drinks and canapés reception and after the newly weds had enjoyed a drink and a nibble we went into their groups shots. Claire and Jamie had requested minimal group shots of just the immediate family so these took even less than the twenty minutes I would normally take. I then took them both away for their main bride and groom session for another twenty minutes or so. Although it was raining on the day I’d already earmarked during my pre-wedding recce the locations I would use in such an event and there was several nice nooks and crannies within the hotel that afforded good photo opportunities. As a wedding photographer in Edinburgh I am privileged to work in so many great venues, but I’ve also photographed weddings in more low key locations and venues so wherever you may be getting married I can assure you that you’ll still get a stunning set of photographs!

When we had finished up it was off to the marquis for dinner. We had been booked to photograph through until and including the wedding speeches which were to come after the meal. So whilst enjoying our roast beef and Yorkshire pudding I replenished and changed all the batteries and memory cards so that we were good to go as soon as they got underway. With the speeches I always make sure to get a good variety and selection of shots of each speaker and then, depending on the length of each speech, I’ll try and grab some photos of the bridal party and guests laughing and enjoying all the jokes and anecdotes. Detail shots are also very important, too, as many of these make up your memories of the day and can also be used creatively to personalise your album pages.

I’m not yet sure if we’ll get any of Claire and Jamie’s photos into a magazine but it was certainly a pleasure to photograph their wedding. If you’d like to see more of my wedding photography please visit my weddings gallery on my website or get in touch to make an appointment to meet up for a chat and look through some albums. All my contact details can be found on there so whether you prefer emailing or phoning I’d love to hear from you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment