Thursday 2 February 2012

Photo Magic

Well I’ve had lots of portrait sessions booked since writing last weeks blog with clients wanting to get shoots in before the wedding season kicks off in April. January is also a busy time for taking wedding bookings, too, so plenty meetings with future bride and grooms. It’s always nice as an Edinburgh wedding photographer discussing couples wedding plans. I’m often able to help with suggestions and recommendations for other aspects of the wedding day planning as well as I know most of the leading wedding suppliers in Edinburgh and can point folk in the right direction and to the best companies and people. Funnily enough I get many couples contacting me for advice on venue choices. The date and venue is of course the first thing to get booked when planning the wedding, so usually when the couple start turning their attention to a wedding photographer the venue has already been chosen. However, I must say I really enjoy being asked for input on venue recommendations, it’s quite an honour! When I chat with other wedding photographers in Edinburgh it’s apparent that I get asked for venue recommendations far more than what is usual. I’m not altogether sure why this may be case. I have been commissioned to do a fair amount of venue reviews over the years for the likes VisitBritain, North Country Guides and various magazines so I’m not sure if that has any bearing. Anyway, in the light of this I am soon going to start work on a Wedding Venue section on my website with information that may help couples in deciding where they want to tie the knot. But that’s all for sometime in the future of course.Another important aspect of my job is album design and also photo manipulation. When designing albums photo manipulation where necessary and appropriate is a normal part of the work but I also periodically get special requests, too. Just this last week I’ve been working on a number of these so I thought I’d share the results with you. There is of course a plethora of task we can achieve with photographs from airbrushing, blemish or scar removal, slimming people down, removing objects (and sometimes people, lol), improving the weather, etc, etc. But here are a few recent jobs that illustrate some of the results that can be achieved with a little time and skill.The first two photographs here are Melville Castle. The first shot is the original, taken in the summer. However, the client later wanted an image that had a winter feel to it, but with no people in it. Most of my photographs of Melville Castle in the winter have been taken at Melville Castle weddings and so on this occasion didn’t really fit the bill. So, I fiddled about with the original photo you see here and after doing a tricky little black and white conversion produced the second image which has a nice wintery look to it.The next two photographs from Morag and Alastair’s wedding at first glance may seem to be identical. The shot was taken on the marble staircase as part of their bride and groom session at their wedding at Craighouse last year. If you look closely you will notice that the shoulder strap of Morag’s dress has come out of place over her left shoulder. At the request of Morag’s mother I “fixed” the strap so it went it back to exactly how it should have been.

The other image I’ve been working on this week, in fact only just finished it lol, is also from Morag and Alastair’s wedding and on behalf of Morag’s mum (she enjoys thinking up challenges for me!). The two photographs on the left hand side are from Morag and Alastair’s group shots. A couple of weeks ago, having been suitably impressed with my ability to fix Morag’s straps, her mum contacted to me to ask if it would be possible to create a new group photograph of specific people that she hadn’t thought about asking to shoot on the wedding day itself. So the picture on the right is the result. If you look closely you no doubt can work out that I’ve taken Morag, Alastair and Morag’s sister (Maid of Honour) from the bottom photo and then Morag’s mum and dad from the top photo and combined them together to give the new family group photograph.The last example I’m using is the two photographs of Floors Castle. The original shot is the top one which is a good image in its own right. However, at the time I took the photograph I also zoomed in on a deep, saturated portion of the sky where the colours were very rich and vibrant and took an additional shot with the idea of switching the skies later in the post production. The lower image is the result. Personally, although it does look more dramatic and punchy I think I prefer the original, but having the two gives me more financial options so I’m not complaining, lol.

0 comments:

Post a Comment