Monday 15 August 2011

An "epic" church wedding

Any wedding photographer in Edinburgh who has never photographed at the Church of the Sacred Heart is amazed when they first enter the building! From the outside the church appears very unobtrusive sitting quietly in the shadows of Lauriston Place. But walk through the doors and you are suddenly encountered with what my friend Adam, the videographer from Inspire Video, described as an "epic" interior! As regular blog readers are aware I love working in historical buildings more so than any other wedding photographer in Edinburgh, primarily due to a life long love of history and previous exciting magazine commissions. It just adds something to a wedding day when not only are you looking to capture great photographs of the bride and groom and the magical moments of their wedding but also the majesty and splendour of their venue and occasion. Although I must add that I am happy to photograph a wedding in absolutely any venue, big or small, grand or modest, and you will still get stunning photography whichever.

Whenever I’m selecting images for my blog I always try to choose about 8 or so that may fit along a particular theme or illustrate a certain point or topic that I am writing about. Of course most of my weddings have online galleries so if there is ever a wedding featured in my blog where you would like to see the entire set of photographs just drop me an email and I’d be happy to send you the link. There is also always 'Real Life' wedding galleries to see on my website, too. Choosing the first image from Susan and Michael’s wedding photographs was easy enough because straight away I picked the photograph with me in it! lol This of course was taken by Diane from the church gallery and as you can see, after getting my quick photograph of the bride and father at entrance to the church, I’ve ran ahead and taken up my usual position about three quarters of the way down the aisle for the shot of the bride and father walking up the aisle. The second photo posted is the one I took before moving off into the corners of the church to capture the rest of the proceedings.

Throughout the ceremony I’m looking to capture a good all round mix of photographs. You will always get some wonderful yet fleeting moments during a wedding ceremony. These may include solemn moments, laughter, smiles and romantic interactions between the bride and groom. Most of these are caught due to anticipation, which of course comes from experience, aswhen they actually occur you do not have time to lift the camera up to the eye and try and grab the shot. It really is a a split second, fleeting instant of time so I have to already be in place and viewing things through the camera lens in order to fire the shutter at the crucial second. And of course, as mentioned at the outset I’m wanting to include a variety of photographs that off the location and that encapsulate the majesty of the venue.

Michael’s family were all across from Ireland and being staunch Catholics a mass was incorporated into the ceremony. As you know I always work away very unobtrusively at weddings and it was very nice to have so many of the family commend me afterwards for the most unobtrusive photography they’ve experienced at a wedding. Getting superb wedding photographs is a must for me, as it is of course for any Edinburgh wedding photographer, but I feel I have to do so within the dignity of the occasion and therefore without causing any inappropriate distraction to the ceremony or any part there of.

The second to last photograph I’ve posted is a collage that illustrates Storybook style wedding photography. I had spotted one of the guests creeping up on Susan with a box of confetti so knew what they had planned, lol.
I tracked them with a telephoto lens and when they were in position locked focus on Susan and shot a sequence of six images. As you can see each photograph is good in its own right but together they convey a much more powerful statement as they tell a pictorial story of the event. That is one reason why your wedding photographs will always look best in a Storybook album because they have much more power and impact.

We finished off at the church with this posed photograph of the newly weds and then I grabbed another one of them in the back of the wedding car before we all headed off back to the hotel for some group shots and the reception. Susan and Michael had absolutely beautiful weather for their wedding day but the next wedding I will blog was the opposite! Rain, rain and more rain! Will rain on your wedding day spoil your photographs? No way! Check back next week and see some stunning photographs from a wedding with all day torrential rain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment