Friday 18 March 2011

Wedding Fairs and Portraits


Well it’s really busy time for Edinburgh wedding photographers just now. Not only is it wedding fair season for brides and grooms but also for us photographers as well. I was down at Focus on Imaging last week where all the major manufacturers to the photography industry were exhibiting their products and services. This included the leading wedding album manufacturers which give us the chance to compare their products and pricing and decide which albums we will offer to our clients. For myself I choose to go for high quality albums rather than the cheaper versions. I feel a wedding is such an important day it not only deserves high quality photography but also the best presentation of your photographs.

When it comes to Digital Wedding Books I thought it was interesting that most manufacturers offer very similar products, the main difference being the cover choices and also their own template design systems. I do not use templates, where your photographs are dragged and dropped onto the pre-designed pages, as I prefer to do this myself and therefore starting with a blank canvas can offer exclusive, bespoke design tailored to each wedding and each couple. The other difference between the digital book manufacturers is the actual quality of their printing and pages. Again I prefer deep, rich pages rather than the thinner versions as these have much greater longevity. Similarly, I pay close attention to the build and construction, particularly the spine and binding as if this is done cheaply to reduce costs it can have a tendency to start coming apart a couple of years down the line.

So, as well as our own trade shows and events there’s also a host of local wedding fairs for brides and grooms going on just now too. I was exhibiting at Edinburgh’s largest wedding fair a couple of weeks ago at the Corn Exchange where we had a great weekend, and then this Sunday I’m at The King James Hotel in Edinburgh’s King James centre where I am one of two hand picked wedding photographers in Edinburgh (don’t know who the other one is yet lol) and the following Sunday I’m the only Edinburgh wedding photographer invited to exhibit at the Ravelston Hotel in Musselburgh.

I don’t have any weddings to photograph until April, when the wedding season really kicks off for me. Four weddings in April (one of which is Vow renewal) and then six in May, so really looking forward to those. It’s a busy month for portrait sessions where I’ve been doing mostly children, but also a few special occasions and family events. We use a mobile digital studio which is versatile enough to be set up in any room no matter how small. The two photos in this weeks blog were both taken in a small living room. Its also adaptable enough to expand for when we do special occasions and events like last week when we did a series of family portraits at the Royal Terrace Hotel for a 50th wedding anniversary. We set up in the hotel and did some photographs of the whole family and then some requested family groups and combinations for three quarters of an hour before the meal. We then put up an online proof gallery, similar to our private wedding galleries, for the family to view the photographs and order any prints. Our portrait photography is becoming more and more popular so I’ve also now got a dedicated Edinburgh Portrait Photography page on my website for it. If you know anyone who might be needing an Edinburgh portrait photographer point them to my page which lists services and pricing. If you are currently planning a wedding and looking for a wedding photographer in Edinburgh or anywhere throughout Scotland come along and have a chat at either of the above mentioned wedding fairs. I’ll look forward to seeing you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment