Friday 15 October 2010

The Edinburgh Wedding Fair

Well what a great afternoon we all had on Sunday with the first Edinburgh Wedding Fair at the Edinburgh Hilton Hotel! I exhibit at many wedding fairs in Scotland and the North of England but this was the first time I’ve been involved in organising the event itself. As you know from a couple of previous blogs my aim was to put on a fresh and different kind of wedding fair that focused on quality and genuine interest in couples planning their big day. I was delighted how well everything turned out and especially the reaction and comments from all of our visitors. I don’t think I’ve ever been at a wedding fair where so many couples made a point of going over to the hotel staff and saying a big thank you for such an enjoyable and pleasurable afternoon.

"Thank you for the afternoon. This is was the nicest atmosphere of any wedding fair I’ve ever been to". "This was the friendliest wedding fair we’ve been to". "This was so different to the wedding fairs we visited last week and yesterday. They were manic. We are so glad we came". "The quality just jumped right out at you". These were just some of the comments that were made by visitors. Needless to say the Hilton were thrilled! And of course me too, lol.

Although the wedding fair started at noon, for me the day began at 7am as I had to be there first to check everything was set up and laid out and that all the exhibitor requirements were ready too. Rhona and Zena, from Flowers by Rhona and Ivory White Events, were in shortly after me as they were doing the decorations, chair covers and floral arrangements. I also had to be ready for a Fashion Show briefing and rehearsal with the bridal company, DJ and the models at 10.15.

Do you remember me telling you about Natalie’s wedding last month? Yes, she was the one with the twenty six bridesmaids ;) Well she and the bridesmaids had been so great throughout the wedding photography I asked them if they’d like to model for the catwalk show. They were absolutely thrilled! As was Julie-ann who’s wedding I photographed back in May. We opened the Fashion Show at 2.30pm with a performance from Pandy Arthur, who in my opinion is the finest wedding solo-ist around, accompanied by the Rose Street Quartet and then the girls came out and did their stuff with the bridal couture of Maida Veil. Everyone was fantastic! And if any of the girls are reading this, which I know they are lol, let me tell you that amongst the comments given to the hotel were several compliments about how enjoyable the fashion show had been and how well you had all done! So a big thank you once again! And by the way…the flowers were from me, even though some one else snuck in and gave you them! lol

The Hilton are now wanting me back in for a meeting next Wednesday to discuss making this a regular, twice yearly event. So look out for the next one probably towards the end of February. I’ve also been contacted by an event company down in the north east of England who put on some of the most popular wedding fairs in the region and are looking for a wedding photographer to run a Wedding Photography Master Class along the lines of “How to look great in your wedding photographs” for the brides and grooms who visit. This would involve giving me a dedicated area where we set up a small digital studio and then doing a twenty minute class covering posing and camera confidence tips with practical demonstrations and a Q&A session. It also means couple’s who wish can have a professional portrait done on the day. As my family live in the Newcastle area I photograph quite a few weddings in the North of England already so not only will this be beneficial to the north east couples but will also give additional promotion to the Newcastle Wedding Photography side of my business. And of course it’s an idea I’ll discuss with the Hilton about incorporating into our next wedding fair here. I would love to hear any comments or opinions on what you think about this idea.

A few other wedding events are coming up soon too. Melville Castle’s autumn wedding fair is on the 24th (the day after Zena’s wedding, yikes! lol) and then I’ve been asked to be the exclusive Edinburgh wedding photographer at the Ravelston Hotel wedding fair on the 31st. So please come along if you haven’t already booked me. You are also welcome to come along if you have already booked me too of course, lol. And if anyone wants to bring me along a coffee from costa I’ll do you a real good discount off your wedding photography package, providing its still hot ;)

Hope to see you soon.
Philip Hawkins
Wedding Photographer Edinburgh
Wedding Photographer Newcastle

0 comments:

Post a Comment