Monday 13 September 2010

Back at Auchen Castle for the smallest wedding ever!

A couple of years ago I had my smallest ever wedding at Airth Castle. This was Jo and Julian who had come up from England with their two witnesses and this was the sum total of their wedding party. At the time I thought it was the smallest wedding party I would ever photograph as every bride and groom by law require two witnesses, hence a minimum requirement of four people. But, not so! I was back at Auchen Castle, for the second time in two months, for Alisha and Michael’s wedding. Total number in wedding party - two! Bride and groom only!

Now you are probably wondering then what about their two witnesses? Well, they abducted a member of staff from Auchen Castle and the second one was me! As it was just the two of them they only required about two hours of photography so at least that meant I wouldn’t have to do a speech! lol

Alisha and Michael were over from Texas and not only was it my smallest ever wedding but also the shortest notice ever I’d had. They arrived in Scotland on Monday and not having any local knowledge simply asked Auchen Castle to recommend a photographer, who after seeing the photographs from the wedding I shot here a few weeks ago, passed on my number to them. I got a call fairly soon afterwards asking me if I would photograph their wedding on Wednesday! Being mid-week I was able to re-arrange a couple of things and was delighted to be travelling down on Wednesday morning.

I’ve mentioned many times before that every wedding is different, and that is one of the reasons why I enjoy my work so much. And it was an absolute pleasure to share the day with this lovely couple. On arrival at Auchen Castle we initially spent some time chatting and doing the paperwork and then we started with some very relaxed and informal photographs, which of course fitted the type of wedding perfectly. When they were just about ready Michael went down to meet the local minister and I took the opportunity to do a few bridal portraits with Alisha. I then accompanied her down into the ceremony room photographing as we went along.

Throughout the ceremony I photographed in my usual reportage style from the corners of the room. The last wedding I photographed here was Kate and Dave’s wedding and the room had been quite full so it was a rare luxury on this occasion to have the entire room at my disposal. Of course, I was unable to get a photograph of myself signing the register though! lol

As an Edinburgh wedding photographer I’ve worked at some of the finest Scottish Castle’s and venue’s throughout Scotland and it was excellent being back at Auchen Castle. And having the entire place to ourselves was just amazing! We basically took a nice relaxing walk around the grounds, enjoying our idyllic surroundings, and I shot a mix of posed and informal photographs as we did so.

Alisha and Michael were going to have their wedding reception with family and friends upon their return to the States. They are planning to show all their wedding photographs at the reception by way of a slideshow on a large screen. All my wedding photography packages include the photographs on DVD copyright free. I know many wedding photographers in Edinburgh don’t like to do this but it is something I’ve always done as I believe it offers great value for money. As Alisha and Michael would be travelling around on their last few days in Scotland I’ll be sending their photographs directly to Texas so they should coincide with their arrival home.

My next wedding is going to be something completely different! From my smallest wedding ever I’m going to one of the largest! This is Natalie and Billy’s wedding at Melville Castle. Six bridesmaids, six flower girls, six page boys and six hundred guests. If you think I’m exaggerating be sure to check back next week ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment