Monday 3 May 2010

Weddings amongst the April showers

Well spring is in the air, the blossom is coming out and we’re just about into the main wedding season here in Scotland. May through to October is the peak time for weddings in Scotland so if you are planning a wedding for these months its always good to book your wedding photographer as soon as you can. As a wedding photographer in Edinburgh I’m ideally based for photographing weddings all over Scotland as well as the north of England. This coming month I have two weddings in Edinburgh, one in Newcastle and one over on the west coast of Scotland in Oban.

Most of the weddings I get booked to photograph seem to be in Castles, Stately Homes or the high end hotels. However, although this is the case I must stress that I am happy to photograph weddings wherever you are getting married and whatever your venue may be. The wedding photos shown here are from Laura and Johnny’s wedding. They got married in Laura’s family church in Edinburgh and then had their reception at the Edinburgh Bowling Club. Although the surroundings are not as glamorous or majestic as a castle that does not mean they wouldn’t get a set of beautiful photographs. A good professional photographer will come up with superb wedding photographs no matter where you are or whatever happens on your day.

Typically for an end of April wedding we had a day of April showers. I had carried out a recce of both the church and the Bowling Club previously and so had already decided if it should rain I would do the group photographs inside the church as there was more room and the setting was better than inside the Bowling Club house. The group photo here is the newly weds with both sets of parents and their bestman and best maid.

Diane had tipped me off that several wedding guests had confetti to throw. So, rather than having random amounts thrown by different people at sporadic times I suggested we do a co-ordinated confetti photograph which I set up at the top of church steps. It was still raining and so as I wasn’t sure how much time we’d get dodging the showers at the Bowling Club I made use of one of the church windows for a couple of quick bridal portraits and then half a dozen romantic and contemporary images of the newly weds.

On the short walk to the car we gave Laura and Johnny our white wedding umbrella which allowed me to shoot some informal images as they walked through the church gardens. I paused them under the canopy of a large tree which I’d earmarked from the recce and shot another half dozen photographs primarily using classic poses. I knew Laura’s father had spent a considerable amount of money hiring the vintage Rolls Royce so I made sure to include it in several photographs. The one shown here was just before we left the church. I converted it to black and white to give an oldy worldly feel that would match the classic car.

My wedding pricing is principally based upon the amount of time you wish me to attend your wedding and for this wedding I was booked through until the first dance. This meant they would be able to include their cake cutting ceremony, wedding speeches and of course a lot more informal, fun photographs from their evening reception. We also utilised the breaks in the showers two or three times too for some quick ten minute sessions around the bowling green and the clubhouse.

I have a few portrait sessions lined up for this week and also a couple of e-sessions (that’s wedding photographer lingo for engagement session, lol) and then my next big shoot is back at Melville castle next Monday. A group of 33 of Britain’s top scientists are at the Castle for an important function and I’m booked to do the photography for it. When I was first contacted about the job I had hopes of perhaps going up on an exciting trip into space or something but then I discovered that they are biologists so I suppose there’s more chance of me ending up on a dissecting table! Yikes!

I mentioned e-sessions a couple of paragraphs ago so I’ll finish this post by mentioning that I’m running a special offer of a free engagement session for all couples who book me for their wedding photography during the month of May. I can do a natural and relaxed ‘lifetsyle’ engagement session either at the venue itself or we can select from a few good locations around Edinburgh. Otherwise I can do a mini studio session at your home. We then have your favourite photograph printed up and set into a beautiful wedding signature mount and you can also have your own personalised Save the Date cards using one of the images from the session, too. Details of the offer are on my website, just click Edinburgh Wedding Photographer to read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment