Friday 26 February 2010

The wedding venue question I can never answer


I’m sure I am not the only wedding photographer in Scotland who gets asked “which is the best wedding venue you’ve ever photographed at?” I get asked this question fairly regularly and I must admit I never know what to say! lol

I am privileged to attend weddings at some of the finest, grandest and most magnificent venue’s in the country. Many of these I’d already established a fondness for some years ago when I was more involved with commercial and editorial photography. I have always had a love of history and so it was a joy to be commissioned to travel throughout Scotland photographing our enchanting Castles, Palaces and fortresses for magazines, brochures, books and advertising. It was also extremely exciting to work on the primetime ITV television series “Britain’s Favourite View” as photographic consultant for Scotland.

However, I find it impossible to pick any one individual venue as ‘the best’. They are all so different and have their own individual character which is brought to life by the personality of the wedding party. And whilst it is true that a wonderfully dramatic venue, like a castle or palace, provides a stunning backdrop for some superb photographs, even the smaller and less high profile venue’s have their own distinctive ambience that makes each one unique for differing reasons. Anyway, given that I was asked the above question earlier this week at a wedding event, but specifically in relation to Scottish Castles, I’ll try and stick to this as a theme, lol.

I cant name a ‘best’ or ‘favourite’ wedding venue so I’m posting some photos of some prestigious historical buildings I’ve been commissioned to photograph commercially or for magazines in the past and then found myself back at them more recently photographing weddings. I’ve had great difficulty whittling the list down to ten or eleven, so that might give you some idea how hard it is when people ask me for a favourite, lol. I’ve also not included any wedding photographs, so these are straight shots of the venue on its own. I hope you might find them interesting. Feel free to leave any comments (yes, I’ve actually discovered how to switch commenting on! lol).

Please note: I will be exhibiting at the Edinburgh Corn Exchange wedding fair next weekend, 6th and 7th of March, so if you are looking for an Edinburgh wedding photographer or anything else wedding related, from wedding chair covers in Edinburgh to gorgeous bridal dresses, come along and visit my stand no.61, towards the front adjacent to the fashion show stage.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, how amazing would it be to get married at a castle? We just don't have that on this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to photograph at any ONE of them... my greatest need in life is to photograph in your beautiful country. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous of your lovely wedding locations. We have some pretty places, but not like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so lucky to have such amazing venues, and beautifully photographed too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll trade you a castle for a palm tree ... 8-)

    ReplyDelete