Friday 26 June 2009

Shiledhill Castle for Alyson and Duncan's wedding

Sheildhill Castle is a luxuriant and charming stronghold that dates from the 12th century. It sits within its own beautiful landscaped gardens in the Upper Clyde Valley just outside the town of Biggar. Last Saturday I was back here again for the wedding of Alyson and Duncan.

On the drive down from Edinburgh it was raining, although the forecast was for showers and sunny spells. The last wedding I had here it rained constantly and we didn’t get chance to exploit the beautiful gardens, although it wasn’t a huge problem as the castle is so full of character there’s plenty scope within its four walls. However, I still harbored hope of catching a few sunny breaks and getting some outdoor photography in between the showers today.

I arrived just after noon and spent a few minutes having a look around the Castle, grounds and chapel just to double check everything is as I’m expecting it to be and see what the lighting is like on the day. I then went up to Alyson’s room to say hello and chat with her for a couple of minutes just to help her relax and feel at ease. I had a little difficulty getting into the room initially as the videographer was busy behind the door shooting video of the waste bin and its contents. Its very rare I get to see the couples wedding video so I’m afraid my mind is going to have to remain baffled at what he intends to do with footage of the bin! lol. Anyway, when he finally let me in I had a chat with Alyson and her twin sister, who was her bridesmaid, and fixed a time for me to come back and shoot a few pre-wedding images once Alyson was all ready and into her dress.

The rain had now stopped and the weather was actually brightening up so I did some pre-wedding shots with Duncan, his bestman and the ushers in the Castle grounds before heading back up to Alyson’s room. I did a few bridal portraits with Alyson, including some full length images showing off her beautiful dress, and then some head and shoulder portraiture using the natural window light. Some quick pictures of Alyson and her sister and then also with dad, then we were off heading for the chapel with me running ahead photographing their progress and arrival at the chapel followed by the walk down the aisle.

The ceremony went over nice and smoothly, and as Alyson and Duncan had said they wished for something nice and simple the minister complied and the time flew over quite quickly. I got some really nice natural photographs during the ceremony from the corners of the chapel with Diane getting some from the back. I photographed the signing of the register and then the minister gave me the nod and I quickly set up a couple of different shots, too, finishing with posing the two witnesses alongside the bride and groom. I then positioned myself about three quarters down the chapel to photograph the newly weds as they made their way back down the aisle. The proceedings were held up momentarily as the videographer jumped in and got the couple to do some elaborate maneuvers with the fountain pen and register, which is the first time I’ve ever seen anyone interrupt a wedding ceremony and I think it was a first for the minister, too, lol.

The newly weds exited the chapel and were soon surrounded by congratulatory guests and then they made their way back to the Castle entrance for champagne. The sun by now was shining happily and so when everyone was ready I did all the formal group shots on the castle lawn with the attractive gardens spreading out behind as a backdrop. Video Bob came up with a few more antics during the group photographs, panning his camera along the faces of everyone in each group, getting them to wave their hands and arms in the air while jumping up and down, followed by “all the ladies kicking their legs as high as possible”. In the end one of the family asked me to have a quiet word with him to get him to stop, which he wasn’t too happy about.
We had a great session with Alyson and Duncan around the Castle grounds. I got a couple of typical, traditional shots with the castle looming up behind them before laying prone along the ground and looking up at them from a low angle for something a little more dramatic. We then moved further into the garden and did some poses by the charming pond before going into the woods for something more creative. I used the overhanging trees and foliage to great advantage running through a short, but fun set of pictures and then finishing off by using Duncan as a background for a glamorous close up of Alyson, which I hope he didn’t mind, lol!.

I finished off with a few minutes inside the castle as I’m a believer in making the most of every venue. Alyson was a great admirer of some of my staircase shots she’d seen on my website from previous castle weddings so we did some similar versions on the Shieldhill Castle staircase.


As the couple went in for their wedding breakfast the sun was still shining beautifully so I think the only piece of equipment I didn’t use that day was the big white wedding umbrella!


Shieldhill Castles website: http://www.shieldhill.co.uk/

0 comments:

Post a Comment