Sunday 1 February 2009

My smallest wedding

Well I closed out the month of January with the wedding of Jo and Julian at Airth Castle. The last time I was here was September last year for Lynsey and Scott's wedding. Airth Castle provides a splendid backdrop for wedding pictures with plenty of nooks and crannies inside to exploit its historical character. For Lynsey and Scott's wedding day there were close to 200 guests in attendance (which made it great fun assembling them all around the upper balcony for a big group shot). By contrast, Jo and Julian had 2 guests making this my smallest wedding ever.





Every wedding is entirely different, one of the reasons I love my job so much, but talking with the registra after the ceremony we both agreed this was very special because it is the smallest possible wedding you could have (in the UK by law the bride and groom must have 2 witnesses present). My wedding day started with a few shots of Julian and his best man on the castle steps before I headed down to photograph Jo and her bridesmaid as they made their way up the long drive to the castle for the ceremony. I paused them on steps too and grabbed a couple of quick shots before we proceeded into the Morning Room for the ceremony. The ceremony was really pleasant and passed off nice and smoothly. I usually work away unobtrusively in the corners of the room and capture all the key moments and emotions of the ceremony (the marriage declarations, exchanging of vows, rings, etc) followed by the signing of the register.

I shot some informal pictures while the four of them enjoyed a glass of champers then we went for a stroll around the castle for the remainder of the photographs. I do a good mixture of classic photography as well as photojournalistic images and with both I make sure the couple look natural and relaxed. I was booked to finish at 4pm so we did around half an hour of post ceremony photography in an around the castle and I ended up with just over 150 pictures from the day, all of which they'll get at high resolution on their disc.

0 comments:

Post a Comment